Food to Schools Intern with Urban Gleaners in Multnomah County
This internship is a 10-15 hour per week position.
Urban Gleaners’ Food to Schools Program is an innovative solution to childhood hunger in Multnomah County. Urban Gleaners is a non-profit organization that rescues surplus food from grocery stores, farmers markets, restaurants, farms and events. We work with eleven Portland area schools (and growing) to provide weekly deliveries of fresh produce, whole grain breads, dairy products and other nutritious foods for families to take home at the end of the school day.
The FtS Intern is responsible for conducting outreach for Urban Gleaners’ Food to Schools Program: interfacing with program administrators at each of our partner schools, scheduling food deliveries and conducting monthly surveys to assess the effectiveness of this program.
He or she is also responsible for once-per-month blog articles relating to the state of childhood hunger in Oregon, child-feeding initiatives, the 2012 Farm Bill, food waste in America, and any other relevant topics of the Intern’s choice (to be approved by UG’s management team).
This position requires some office hours and some hours spent on-site at each of our partner schools.
Qualifications and Skills:
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups
· Development of marketing and outreach projects
· Computer skills with simple databases, web-based tools and social media
· Ability to be a self motivated, reliable problem solver
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills
· Ability to travel in the region.
· Strong phone skills; including willingness to make cold calls and proven track record of closing sales via phone.
· Strong database and organizational capabilities along with experience successfully managing many details and manipulating substantive contact lists.
· Experience providing excellent customer service.
· Interest/experience in sustainability and food issues.
· Strong creative and journalism writing skills
· Solid understanding of environmental, ecological and conservation issues
· Good team player, flexible work style, and excellent interpersonal skills
· Enjoy interfacing with the public
· Enthusiasm for the mission of Urban Gleaners
To submit an application, send your application via email.
· Please include the four requested documents preferably as PDF documents attachments.
Deadline to apply is August 1st. Review of applications will begin immediately. A complete application will include:
A writing sample of your choice of 3-5 pages that highlights your writing skills
List of three references. (Please include name, title, relationship to applicant, phone number, and/or email address.)
Send electronic file version via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Friends of Family Farmers posts employment information exactly as we receive it. We cannot certify that any of the information provided is true.