Summer 2012 Farm Educator Internship at Sauvie Island Center
Sauvie Island Center (SIC) is a non-profit organization educating youth about food, farming and the land. Located on beautiful Sauvie Island just outside Portland, Oregon, SIC provides Portland area schools with educational field trips, open spaces and a connection to the land.
Our field trip program allows area students to learn about farming and its relationship to the land through exploration of compost piles, farm fields, and native plant habitats. We hope to create an understanding and appreciation of the natural and human systems that grow food while teaching through hands-on exploration.
- Open to college students or recent graduates interested in teaching youth about food, farming, and ecology.
- Must enjoy working with children!
- Ability to work outdoors, in variable climatic conditions, lifting, digging, using hand tools.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Background in outdoor education and/or organic gardening / farming practices preferred.
- Must pass background check.
- We are seeking an Intern who will be able to commit to 3 full weeks of Summer Camp including one training day prior to the camp weeks.
- The weeks are: July 9th – 13th, July 16th – 20th, and July 23rd - 27th.
- Daily hours will be 9am – 3:30pm.
The Sauvie Island Center Farm Education Intern will receive:
- College credit (must arrange with your school).
- Experience teaching outdoor education programs.
- Knowledge of Pacific Northwest ecosystems.
- Knowledge of organic farming practices in the Pacific Northwest.
- A small stipend may be available.
Submit a cover letter and resume with 3 references *by May 21st*. Cover letter should address why you are interested in outdoor/agricultural education and your availability during the aforementioned program times.
Interns will be asked to complete and pass a background check before they are able to work with children.
Please send all application materials by May 21st, to:
Jennifer James, Education Program Manager
Friends of Family Farmers posts employment information exactly as we receive it. We cannot certify that any of the information provided is true.